/> Adventures in Writing YA: Book Review: Family Magic

Sunday 15 April 2012

Book Review: Family Magic


Title:  Family Magic
Series: The Hayle Coven Novels)
Author:  Patti Larson| blog | Twitter
Genre(s): Paranormal YA
Format(s): ebook, paperback
Published:  Oct 2011
Add it: Goodreads




Summary:
Sixteen-year-old Sydlynn Hayle is the daughter of a powerful witch and a demon lord of the seventh plane. The trouble is, she just wants to be ordinary. Syd struggles to survive the minefield of her new high school while being torn between her attraction to football hero Brad Peters and the darkly mysterious Quaid Moromond. When her coven comes under attack, Syd is forced to face the fact only her power can save her family’s magic.

Review:
Being half witch and half demon is not conductive to fitting into High School and being 'normal'. Being the daughter of the coven's leader where magical mistakes often occur means Syd gets moved around, often before she can make any friends... Syd is not happy with any of this!

For the first half of the book I often found Syd annoying, and a bit whiny but then again as she admits to this later on, I forgave her. The last half of the book is unputdownable, and I stayed up till 1am to finish reading the climactic action scene.

Overall I think all the characters are well-developed, I found the mother a little unrealistic, only because I think as such a powerful leader she would have made Syd learn more as a child, and I found it hard to believe she couldn't work out who the culprit was from the beginning! Iadored the little sister, and both boys ;-) I also loved the vampire couple...as you know I love vampires, and I would have liked to see a bit more of them.

A good witchy 4 **** from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment