/> Adventures in Writing YA: I got the Sunshine Award

Wednesday 16 May 2012

I got the Sunshine Award

Yey! I'm not sure my vampires will appreciate this award but I do ;-) I got the Sunshine Blog Award from Caron Rider at http://www.caronrider.blogspot.co.uk/ Thanks!

Here are the rules of the award:

1.Include the award logo in the post.
2.Link back and thank those that nominated me.

3.Answer 10 random questions.
4.Nominate other bloggers and link them to the award in their comments.

So here are my 10 favourite questions I have taken from previous blog interviews & my answers:


1.    Tell us a little bit about you, Emma?
Well, I’m a 35 year old mum of two gorgeous kiddies, but sometimes I still feel 20! I have been a bookworm as long as I can remember & started school being able to read. I’ve wanted to be a writer since my teens, but I never put the work in, and consequently never got past one chapter! I’m a dreamer and love to lose myself in a book or movie…or just my own dreams. Oh yeah…and I love purple!

2.    In the spirit of Twitter, can you tell us about your book in 140 characters or less?
Murdered girl gets saved by, then turned into a vampire.  Fighting to keep her soul, control her desires & new found powers, she tries to solve the mystery of her birth!

3.    Can you tell me a little bit about Witchblood and what inspired it?
I became inspired to write Witchblood after reading the Twilight Saga, and then developing an addiction to all paranormal fiction, mainly YA. I thought there would be a niche in the market for a YA series set in the UK because at the time there weren't any published UK vampire series I knew of. I wanted to meld my favourite paranormal genres and have both witches and vampires in my series!

4.    Witchblood is the first instalment of your YA paranormal series. Have you planned it as a Trilogy?
Yes, originally I planned it as a trilogy, with book 2 being Witchcraft and lastly Witchlove, but last summer I started writing a new story, which ties into Witchblood. So once I have written books 2 & 3 I will probably write that next. 

5.    Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
I like them all! But hardback would be my least favourite because of the unwieldy nature of the beast... I like to read in the bath, and in bed so hardbacks aren't good for my ridiculously skinny wrists!

6.    What are your Top 3 paranormal YA series?
This is a tough one because there are so many! I am going to split them into Mainstream & Indie! I would have to have Twilight because those books started this whole journey. So for Mainstream I'd have Twilight Saga, The Hunger Games (although I wasn't as keen on Mockingjay) & then it would be a tie between Vampire Academy & Aprilynne Pike's Wings! My favourite indie YA paranormal series would be, Peachville High Demons, Pyxis & The Toad Witch Series by Christiana Miller.

7.    What do you like to do when you're not writing?
When I'm not writing, editing or promoting I like to spend some time with my family, plan holidays to hot places, bake cakes and of course read!

8.   What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author?
So far I have been lucky and only received one 2 star review for Witchblood, but it was tough reading it. Even though I disagreed and felt like she hadn’t read the book properly, I tried to find something constructive that I can use to grow with. I always read my reviews and try and take on board how readers are feeling. Sometimes they make really useful point and a lot of points I have kept in my head whilst I have written Witchcraft.

9.What has been the best compliment?
I have many amazing reviews I could choose for compliments and they surprise and motivate me every day, but recently a fellow author said that, ‘I think this book contained one of the best vampire transformations I've ever read!’ That made me very happy, and only yesterday an American book blogger at: http://the-avidreader.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/top-ten-tuesday-9.html put me at No3 in her Top 10 Favourite Authors...that is the ultimate compliment!

10.   What can we expect from you next?
Well, I have just finished writing Witchcraft, the sequel to Witchblood. Next I will be proof reading and editing and it will be published on 25th June. After that I will be writing the remaining story in the trilogy, but I haven't decided ye whether to call it WitchLove or WitchHunt!!

And here are my Nominations for The Sunshine Blog Award:

1. Susan K Mann @ http://www.susankmann.com/ I always enjoy reading her blog because she mixes my favourite fiction with parenthood dramas!

2. Bookaholics Book Club @ http://bookaholicsbkcl.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/uk-vs-world-23_16.html I love this blog for her cover battles, comparing cover art in different countries.

3. Kitty Pinkstars @ http://kittypinkstars-kitty-kittypinkstars.blogspot.co.uk/ I absolutely love Kitty's blog. It is fun, arty and one of the brightest blogs out there. It always brightens up my day!

4. Sister Spooky @ http://sisterspookybookfangirl.blogspot.co.uk/ I like this blog for Laura's great reviews and new ideas. I am eagerly awaiting her 'Geek Week' coming soon.

5. Patrica Lynns Journey @ http://plbjourney.blogspot.co.uk/ Patricia is a fellow indie author & I like her blog because she does some great writing posts & loves vampires just like me! 

3 comments:

  1. Aww thank you for the award you are so lovely and what a great post for finding things out about a person. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I giggled a bit at your blog getting a sunshine award because of the vampires too. =) Thanks for the award too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the Sunshine Award. I think the Sunshine Award is a nice complement to the vampires and the witches. When I read Witchblood and other books about vampires and witches it puts a little sunshine in my life. Reading Paranormal, YA, Urban Fantasy or anything with a paranormal creƤture in it gives me a happy feeling.

    ReplyDelete