/> Adventures in Writing YA: Vaempires Revolution: Review

Sunday 16 September 2012

Vaempires Revolution: Review

You may remember that earlier in the year I did a blog swap with Tom Winship, author of the Vaempires series and having a pile of books to wade through along with a couple to write I hadn't got round to reading this series? Well over the summer I took my kindle on holiday and decided it was time to knuckle down, stop being squeamish and give them a go! I was glad I did. Here is my review:
 
Vaempires: Revolution (The Evolutionary War, Book One)
 
Blurb:
 
Cassandra’s boyfriend, Daniel, is late for the party. He’s still outside the city when all hell breaks loose. What he believes is an act of terrorism proves to be a full-fledged revolution. Væmpires—former vampires who mutated into warm-blooded creatures with an insatiable hunger for cold blood—have launched coordinated attacks across the globe, with three goals: the eradication of humanity, the enslavement of vampires, and the ascension of væmpires as the dominant species on the planet.

The vampire and human leaders are killed. Cassandra is missing. Daniel is the acting king. Desperate to find the princess, Daniel and his friends fight their way across the besieged city. With the hopes of the free world resting on the shoulders of four vampire teenagers, væmpires unleash their secret weapons—væmpires with special powers.

What can four teens do against an enemy that can shape-shift, fly, or walk through walls?
 
Review:
 
The vampire/supernatural books I read are generally all YA genre, this book is different. It is hard to class because it has a teenage hero & heroine, but in my opinion it is exceptionally violent, more so than the Hunger Games. This is a YA book written for adults... or maybe not, I'm not sure.

What I do like is the evolution of vampires and the ideas of a new (& very scary) future. The writing was brilliant and highly descriptive. I could imagine every drop of blood spattered and every wail and scream! At some points I had to skim over parts which were too violent for my tastes, but I'm a bit of a wimp and don't like gory action/war films, and this is a book of war. A war like no other. A war between vampires and vaempires.

Somewhere amongst the fighting there is a love story. I would have liked a lot more development of this, but then I like YA romance!

If you like vampires, war and lots of action you will pretty much definitely love this book.


****

Since I got back from my holiday unfortunately my reading has been paused to wite WitchLove so I haven't had time read the prequel, 'White Christmas, but I believe this has all the relationship history of the characters which I will enjoy reading in the near future.


Also for all Vaempire fans out there Tom is set to release the sequel, Vaempires: Zombie Rising next month!

Vaempires: Zombie Rising
Find Tom at:
http://www.vaempires.com

http://www.twitter.com/vaempires



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Emma! I really appreciate you fighting through any squeamishness to get through Vaempires: Revolution. And, I think you'll find White Christmas much more to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have both Revolution and White Christmas. I need to read them asap. I know that I will love both because I do love reading about vampires and I do like a lot of action.

    Loved the review, Emma.

    Oh, and I do owe you an apology. You know for the "little favor" you asked of me? I never followed through on it and for that I do apologize. I should have already sent you an apology. I am truly sorry. I didn't because I felt bad about it and wrong for not doing a simple favor that was asked of me. I know it meant a lot to you or you would not have asked. I will try my best to better in the future.

    Nancy @ The Avid Reader

    ReplyDelete