/> Adventures in Writing YA: New Year: New Challenges: New Books

Friday 4 January 2013

New Year: New Challenges: New Books

I'm well aware I've not been blogging as much recently... I've not been reading half as much either! You only have to look at my Reading Challenge page to see that evidence! I started the year pretty well, but after Meningitis headaches where I couldn't read for a couple of months and then writing WitchLove I've just not had the time. So to summarise, last January I had challenged myself to read 25 sequels... I've read 7 Ooops! Overall I wanted to beat last years Goodreads challenge of 50 books... but only made 30. I guess my school report would read 'Must Try harder'!

Looking through my list of books I have chose my Top 3 of 2012. It's quite interesting actually and shows that my obsession with YA is moving on. Yes my number one is a YA (but it's not Supernatural), No 2 was well overdue and had been sitting on my bookshelf for a couple of years and the third was a book club read which I reluctantly took on holiday and turned out to be one of the most uplifting and interesting books I've ever read.

No 1: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green   Review
No 2: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson
No 3: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba

Writing today's blog has made me realise something and remember something... I have forgotten how much I love reading! I have forgotten how much I love immersing myself in a good book, not necessarily prize winning literature (more often than not I find those ones too depressing!) Just good in a seriously addictive kind of way.

So there are a couple of books on my shelves that I didn't get round to reading last year (OK there's way more than a couple!) and there are also books I want to read before the movies come out, or because of recommendations. They are as follows:

Life of Pi - Yann Martel (if you haven't read this it is currently only 20p on kindle!)
City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
Debutantes - Cora Harrison
Slated - Teri Terry
Eight Keys - Suzanne Lafleur

Yes they are all YA again, but apart from City of Bones, I've already bought them and they are waiting patiently to be read! Do any of you guys have any other must read recommendations to get me back into books?

No comments:

Post a Comment