/> Adventures in Writing YA: Book Review: The Witching Pen

Saturday 10 March 2012

Book Review: The Witching Pen

Book One of The Witching Pen Novellas - The Witching Pen
Title:  The Witching Pen
Series:  The Witching Pen Novellas
Author:  Dianna Hardy | blog | Facebook | Twitter
Genre(s):  Paranormal Romance
Format(s): ebook, paperback
Published:  July 2  011
Add it: Goodreads

Summary:
It's hard being the most powerful witch on the planet. It's even harder when you're a twenty-five year old virgin who'll lose all of that power the moment you sleep with someone ... that's why Elena's never slept with her best friend and flatmate, Karl, despite the true feelings they harbour for each other.

Elena's about to discover that there are even more difficult things in life to deal with. One of them comes in the form of a pen she discovers one day, a pen that allows anything she writes to come to pass...

Suddenly, it's not just her powers or her heart that's at stake, but her very soul, as a dream demon with a seductive pull uses the pen to try and turn her away from her reality, and from Karl.

But the pen is just the beginning. Everything Elena has believed in is a lie, and her world is about to fall apart...

This is a novella - shorter than the average novel - but longer than other novellas I have read, and a really good read. You still get a really involved and well thought out plot, romance, action and a steamy sex scene as well! In the early parts of the story when the relationship is just a friendship the tension between the two characters is really believable, and when something happens to one of them (I don't want to give anything away!) I was absolutely gutted... until it was resolved and then I breathed a huge sigh of relief - which proves to me that I really cared about these characters, and story!

I myself have been researching witchcraft for the sequel to Witchblood so I recognised a lot of the practises within the book, and they've all been well thought out, and when explanations are needed they are given succinctly. Considering the amount of paranormal fiction out there Dianna still manages to achieve something different. I love the idea of the witching pen, and the whole history behind it. I love the twists in the story, involving a couple of characters and I love the way the story ends with a minor character in trouble, for the sequel to follow on with!


As I can't actually think of anything bad to say about this novella I have to give it the full 
***** stars it deserves.
Buy it Amazon:

1 comment:

  1. I just got to check this one out sounds like it is a good read.

    ReplyDelete