/> Adventures in Writing YA: The Mortal Instruments

Thursday 3 April 2014

The Mortal Instruments

So for this week's blog I thought I would do a brief review of the Cassandra Clare 'Mortal Instruments' books which I've been reading as I want to discuss 'doomed relationships' in series.

Up until Book Five (the current book I'm reading... or trying to) I have really enjoyed the series. It is something a little bit different from other paranormal YA series. I love the world building as it reminds me of the HP series in which the muggles live alongside and completely oblivious to the wizards. In Cassandra Clare's series the humans are living alongside all the supernatural species under the sun, and yet it is totally believable!

Clary is a great character and unlike a lot of YA protagonists I didn't find her annoying or unrealistic in her reactions. She comes across as fairly average, likeable and funny, but can be strong when she needs to be; which happens more as the series progresses. In Book One : City of Bones Clary finds herself drawn into the world of the Shadowhunters and her life is turned upside down. As seems the norm with this genre Clary soon finds herself in the middle of the obligatory love triangle and when things get tough with Jace, the rather irresistible and arrogant shadowhunter, she begins dating her best friend, Simon, which I found a little strange and unbelievable. Simon is a great character and is there for Clary throughout the series, I just wish the love angle had been left out as in my opinion it adds nothing to the story.

All of the first four books are totally readable and addictive. They are very easy to read and you soon find yourself loosing track of the time and becoming immersed in Cassandra Clare's world. The action scenes, are well written and exciting and the twists and turns have you double guessing plot lines throughout!

However... and this is my main negative point, over the last four books I did guess that the Clary / Jace 'problem' would be resolved and thoroughly enjoyed book four when this was all coming together. The 'happy ending' was well deserved after their struggle throughout the previous four books... So why oh why did the author feel it necessary to split them up again!! Ahhhhh! I have only got part way into Book Five and I honestly can't be bothered reading anymore. To be honest I am now fed up of seeing how many ways Cassandra Clare can keep them apart! Personally I would have much preferred to have these final books with Clary and Jace working together as a team. They could still have had the mighty battles and I'm sure there will be plenty, after all the Faerie Queen is a loose cannon and Valentine & his psychotic son are still on the rampage. So why the need for more Clary / Jace drama?

Hopefully one day I'll return to Book five and finish it, but for now I just can't be bothered.

What do you think? Have you read the series and if so what do you think about Book 5?

Do you like constant relationship drama or think it's too much?

1 comment:

  1. I never could get into the books, I watched the movie and liked the story behind it but regrettably could not get into the books. I do not do well with books written in 3rd person. I like it rite from the characters point of view. So I just couldn't get into them.

    ReplyDelete