/> Adventures in Writing YA: Why Manchester?

Sunday 22 January 2012

Why Manchester?

They say to write about what you know...so setting Witchblood in Manchester seemed an obvious choice. Part of my motivation for writing Witchblood was to write a YA paranormal romance that was British; when so many popular YA's out there are American.

I grew up in South Manchester and then went to Manchester Metroplitan University, so by the time I was twenty I knew the city centre like the back of my hand. Even now, married with two kiddies I may have moved out into the surrounding hills, but I'm still only 30 minutes away when I want a shopping spree!

I thought a post about Manchester, for those who don't know the city might be good. So here's a snap shot of my favourite parts of the city, and the things it's famous for.

P.s the sky is very rarely blue - you are more likely to get rain that sun, so don't let the photos fool you! ;-)

But, Manchester is a beautiful city with a great fusion of historic and modern, culture and entertainment; two premiere league football teams vying to be No1, and a reputation for producing some of the best ever bands!

Later in the week I will be posting another Manchester blog; but this time I'll be showing you locations from the book. Photos that gave me my inspiration writing Witchblood, and places I imagine Jess & Daniel hanging out. So keep an eye out!

No comments:

Post a Comment