/> Adventures in Writing YA: Cliffhangers...Good or Bad?

Wednesday 7 December 2011

Cliffhangers...Good or Bad?

I've been reading through my manuscript today and concentrating on the final chapter, mulling over the ending. When I first wrote Witchblood I had an ending I was happy with and which several friends had read and enjoyed. However when I got an agent she told me I had to change my ending, removing the new elements, which added a new plot line to be continued in the sequel.

I was told that publishers would only be interested in a complete story and I couldn't have any kind of cliffhanger. Obviously I did as she suggested and removed the suggested elements, but one year down the line with no publisher on board I'm having a re-think.

I'm self publishing, I'm in control now and nearly every book I read which is part of a series has some kind of cliffhanger at the end, a hook to make you want to read the next one. So why not mine?

Now I just have to hope I have the original copy somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment