/> Adventures in Writing YA: Jess...my lead female character

Thursday 15 December 2011

Jess...my lead female character

I thought I'd give you a bit of a taster and tell you about Jess, my lead female character; and voice of the book. 'Witchblood' is her story.

Jess is a smart, sassy 17 year old. She is a year ahead in school and just started her first year at Manchester University when we meet her, where she shares a room with her best friend Alex. After a violent girl gang attack leaves Jess dying in an alleway she must choose between death and a new life; but what Jess and her adoptive vampire clan are unaware of is Jess' true genetic destiny to be a powerful witch.

I don't know about you but when I read a book or write I always visualise the characters in my mind. Jess starts off as a mousy blonde, when she turns into a vampire her hair becomes a shiny pale blonde; and later she dyes it dark to change her identity.

When I was at the cinema recently and saw a trailer for The Hunger Games I saw the perfect Jess!
Here are pictures of Jennifer Lawrence looking almost as I imagine her to look:


1 comment: