/> Adventures in Writing YA: Copyright Queries

Friday 9 December 2011

Copyright Queries

Ugh! Today I have been working on my cover art again with my fantastic sister who has come up with a new version, down to some comments re the girls head being disembodied! I am loving this new version (it is in early stages and needs some cleaning up) and I have also come up with a better title placement.

However, now we are worrying about copyright on the photos. My sister thought that it was ok to use images as long as they are changed by at least 10% and as we have used 3 different images and chopped bits and merged them together this would apply.



However I have just read that any alteration is down to the original artist/photographer and unauthorised use could be a breach of copyright! Gah! So does anyone know anything about this? I'm going to have to find out before I take this any further, otherwise we'll just have to use some stock photos...or maybe just go down to the city and get my friend to take a photo of me lying dead on the ground LOL

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't you get images from somewhere like iStock (istockphoto.com)? You'd need to read the legal stuff on their licensing page but as far as I know once you've paid for the image you're free to use it however you like.

    ReplyDelete